Wednesday 1 June 2011

Modernism Vs. Post-Modernism

Modernism and Post-Modernism are terms that are thrown around a lot these days. But I have found, whilst researching for an essay, that defining them is about as easy as drawing blood from a stone.

Modernists seem to try and expand on things that already exist in an imaginative way and try to 'reinvent the wheel'. Post-Modernists on the other hand, don't. They try and question whether there is even a wheel in the first place. They seem to strip everything out of their work, whether it be art or literature, that the modernists hold dear just as a middle finger to the modernists.

Now, I quite like some of the post-modern art because a lot of it is quite typographically driven which is right up my street. But the post modern literature that I've read seems rather drab. There is a lack of any particular plot or narrative which, in my opinion, is what makes a good book worth reading.

If I had to pick to be part of either movement then I would most definately pick Modernism. In general, it seems to be the most sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment